- Public Works
- Garbage & Trash
- Garbage & Trash Policies
Garbage & Trash Policies
- The City of Northport Public Works Department provides household garbage collection once weekly.
- Collection days will be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, see the City of Northport Trash Pickup Map (PDF) to determine specific area collection days.
- Garbage carts must be placed at the curb by 6 am on your pickup day.
- Garbage means and includes refuse vegetable or animal matter, and all refuse matter arising from or produced by, or that attends the preparation, use, cooking, dealing in, or storing of bread, meat, fish, fowl, fruit, vegetables, and in general from food for human consumption, and all other putrescible matter.
- Everything in your garbage cart must be bagged.
- All garbage must be contained inside a city-owned cart for collection. Garbage that is placed on the ground, on top of the cart, or placed in a non-regulated container will not be collected. The only exception to this rule will be for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays when we will collect bags of garbage placed next to your city cart.
- Do not mix garbage with trash. Different trucks are scheduled to pick up garbage vs. trash. Please do not place any trash in your carts.
- For safety, do not put loose, broken glass, needles or any sharp objects in bags. Enclose these items in a box or other rigid container before placing them in with the garbage.
- Please make sure your carts are not blocked by any vehicles.
- A maximum of three garbage carts will be permitted on a residential premise with a monthly garbage rate of $16.60 per cart.
- A maximum of two garbage carts will be permitted on a commercial premise with a monthly garbage rate of $27.12 per cart.
- Garbage carts should be returned to place of storage after collection.
- Charges for sanitation collection services will be included in the monthly water bill.
- For customers who are physically unable to carry garbage to the curb, the city can provide back door service. A form is available on the city website and must be signed by a Physician.
- If you have failed to follow any of these conditions your garbage may not be collected.
For questions or complaints please call the Public Works Department at 205-333-3003.
Black Warrior Solid Waste
3301 Landfill Drive
Coker, AL 35452
Will accept garbage and trash for a fee.
- Trash and Garbage are collected on the same day.
- The City of Northport Public Works Department provides residential trash pickup once weekly.
- Collection days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, see the City of Northport Trash Pickup Map (PDF) to determine specific area collection days.
- Trash must be placed at the curb by 6 am on your pickup day.
- Any Trash collections that were missed due to a city observed holiday will be collected on the Friday of that week. For the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's schedule, please see the city's website or the local newspaper.
- Trash means and includes any paper, cartons, cardboard, boxes or other materials which are thrown away or rejected for further use, but does not include dirt, ashes, brick, lumber, concrete or any waste material from any building or repair operations or construction of any kind.
- The city does not provide trash collection for businesses or commercial customers.
- It is unlawful to throw, sweep or otherwise deposit trash or rubbish in any sewer, gutter, drainage way, street, sidewalk, or vacant lot.
- Leaves, pines straw, and grass clippings must be bagged.
- Limbs and hedge clippings must be no larger than 8 inches in diameter and no longer than 6 feet long. Stack neatly near the curb, but not in the street, gutter, sidewalk or vacant lot. Avoid placing by a mailbox, utility poles, fire hydrants or under low power lines or anything that will obstruct the use of equipment. No stumps or large tree trunks will be picked up.
- No paints, batteries, oil, tires, tube TVs, appliances, etc. or hazardous materials will be collected.
- Do not mix garbage with trash. Different trucks are scheduled to pick up garbage vs. trash.
- Any building debris such as scrap lumber, plaster, roofing, concrete, etc., that has been left as a result of construction, repair, remodeling, demolition, tree services or landscaping that was performed by a private contractor shall be the responsibility of the contractor or resident to dispose of properly.
- If you have failed to follow any of these conditions your trash may not be collected.
For questions or complaints, please call the Public Works Department at 205-333-3003.
Cypress Creek Landfill
6315 12th Avenue E
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
Will accept trash only for a fee.